RoYds Part 7 - Whatever it Takes

Present Day


“I don’t know where to start...”

It was Elizabeth’s second day since her return. She studied the smartly dressed and obviously professional young woman who had just walked into her office and came to the conclusion she was probably at her wits’ end.

“Tell you what. Why don’t I make us both a nice cup of tea and then you can tell me all about it?” Elizabeth smiled encouragingly before walking over to a connecting door leading to the kitchen at the rear of the room and putting the kettle on.

Sarah Entwistle definitely was at her wits’ end. She looked around the room. To all intents and purposes it looked like any normal tourist information office except that the local tourist office for this town was situated in the library.

Elizabeth re-entered the room carrying a tray holding two large mugs of tea and a number of rich tea biscuits. She put the tray down on the table and passed one of the mugs to the young woman.

“Here, Sarah. Help yourself to the biscuits. There’s some sugar too, if you take it.”

“What exactly is it that you do here?” Sarah asked cautiously. Elizabeth could see that Sarah looked a bit suspicious at her surroundings.


Whatever it takes


“We investigate paranormal activity,” replied Elizabeth matter-of-factly.

Sarah blushed with embarrassment as she took a sip of her tea. “I told the man at the library that I thought my flat was haunted and he said the best thing I could do was to visit here and see if anyone could help.”

Elizabeth looked slightly amused. “And you thought about that at least twice before doing so, I’ll bet!” she said light-heartedly.

Sarah smiled and Elizabeth saw five years drop from her face with that smile, and she came to the conclusion that Sarah was probably in her early rather than late twenties. “Where is it that you live?” Elizabeth enquired. “And what makes you think that it is haunted?”

Sarah considered her words carefully before speaking, “It will probably sound daft. Even I think so! When it happens, I'm scared stiff and everything is so real. But now, talking to you, it all seems stupid and I feel like an idiot.”

“Well, I promise not to think of you as an idiot. At the very least, talking to someone about it can only help, and together we might be able to find a logical reason for what you are experiencing.” Elizabeth wished she could do more to help Sarah relax.

“I’ve got a ground floor flat in Howell Place. You know the old chapel facing the Band Club?”

Elizabeth nodded, “Go on.”

“Well, I moved in a while ago. It’s really nice; all the neighbours seem friendly and location is ideal. I was lucky to get the flat. Matt, my old lecturer from college, was going abroad for a year and asked me if I wanted to rent it while he was away. Of course I jumped at the chance!”

“So, what’s the problem?”

Sarah sighed and shrugged her shoulders, “Well, for instance, say I know I have turned the light on in a room –- well, it might just turn itself off. Same with the radio, or a tap, or the television. At first I thought it could be faulty wiring or plumbing and then, well, then I heard the voices...”

Sarah looked to Elizabeth for reassurance.

Elizabeth nodded her head in encouragement, “It’s OK, carry on.”

“It’s a man and a woman. I can’t make out all the words but I know he’s ending things with her and she’s crying, begging and pleading with him to change his mind.”

“Could the voices be coming from a TV or radio in another room?” Elizabeth asked. “Or maybe from one of your neighbour’s flats?”

“I don’t think so,” replied Sarah nervously. “You see, I recognise one of them -– the voices. I know who it is... and... This is going to sound crazy, right? You are going to think I am mad... but, you see, the man... Well, it’s Mathew. It’s his voice I can hear!”

“And you are positive that Mathew is still... abroad?” Elizabeth enquired.

Sarah nodded firmly.

Instinct told Elizabeth that Sarah was not suffering from a psychotic illness, although there was always the possibility of drugs. “I’m going to ask you this because we need to rule it out and I don’t mean any offence. Do you have any history of drug taking? You know these things can have lasting effects?” Elizabeth could clearly see by Sarah’s eyes that she had taken offence at her question.

“No, of course not! Don’t be so ridiculous. I wish I had, though. At least it would be an explanation.”

“OK,” said Elizabeth getting up from her chair. "And again, I apologise. I just needed to be able to rule that out. How about I have a look to see what information I can find out here about the old chapel and if any powerful transmitters or telephone masts have been erected in the area recently? They can sometimes play havoc in ways you would not imagine. Meanwhile, it’s just a suggestion, but I wondered if you might feel easier staying at a friend’s house until you get this sorted out?”

“I have nowhere else to go,” replied Sarah sadly. “Besides, I want to remain at the flat. Apart from what's happening, I feel rather attached to it.”

“Okey-dokey,” replied Elizabeth, unable to hide her concern. “Why don’t I meet you at your flat later this afternoon then? Say around three o’clock?”

The tension appeared to drain from Sarah’s face. “Fantastic! I really appreciate you making the time and effort.”

A few minutes later, Elizabeth sat at her desk and wondered what course to take with Sarah’s happenings.

“Shall we investigate this together?” asked a voice from behind, and she turned to find Tashriel casually leaning on the doorframe.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:
  • At 27 September 2009 at 03:04, Blogger Vesper said…

    “What exactly is it that you do here?”...

    Whatever it takes

    This is an excellent chapter. I remember this from before, as a very interesting part of the story, and I think the writing is very good. Even though I knew what it was about, it kept me on the edge of my seat and I absolutely love the ending.

     
  • At 27 September 2009 at 15:27, Blogger Miladysa said…

    "it kept me on the edge of my seat and I absolutely love the ending."

    hee hee! Thanks Vesper :)

     
  • At 28 September 2009 at 04:20, Blogger Melissa said…

    I love this line: Sarah smiled and Elizabeth saw five years drop from her face with that smile.

    And that Tashriel ... whew. :)

    My Nana's birthday was the 25th of this month and I keep thinking how much she would have loved this story (she's probably reading it over my shoulder ...).

     
  • At 28 September 2009 at 22:26, Blogger Miladysa said…

    Melissa - I hope your Nana is reading over your shoulder. You never know, she could be writing over mine LOL

     
  • At 28 September 2009 at 23:10, Blogger Melissa said…

    Knowing her, she is, Milady! :D I forgot to mention, too, that I gasped (literally) when I couldn't click on the "next" button ... lol!

     
  • At 29 September 2009 at 22:29, Blogger Miladysa said…

    About one and a half hours to go Melissa - Part 8 at 00:01 UK time :)

     

Post a Comment

~Make your presence known~

<< Home
 

Paranormal Fiction
by Miladysa

♦ A Google
Blog of Note ♦

♦ Author Email:
miladysa@hotmail.com

Whituth's living can't see the dead but psychic Elizabeth Whyte can see everyone: living humans, delayed souls, fallen angels, vampires and fae. She helps maintain the fragile peace between light and darkness in her work with RoYds, an unworldly refuge. But that peace has suddenly become fragile. Whituth's carefully maintained balance is tipping toward darkness. Now Elizabeth and her angelic allies must discover who or what is threatening both town and refuge before balance is lost forever

♦ REVIEWS ♦

Brilliant and Spooky
Gothic Web Opera
Strangely Plausible

 
Subscribe in a reader


@Miladysa

♦ Interviews with Miladysa

♦ Review/Rate:
Muse's Success
Gothic.net
Web Fiction Guide

♦ MoreWeb Fiction


Elizabeth
Billy
Lady Mabel
Tashriel
The Stone Avenue
Fan Art ~ Arwydau

Template by LunaStone & Miladysa

© 2007-2014 Miladysa

No part of this site may be reproduced without the permission of the author. All rights reserved.