RoYds Part 11 - Choir of Gargoyles

Present Day

Sarah did not get the chance to speak before Elizabeth began to see and hear past events unfolding.


Two glasses and wine bottles on the polished steel coffee table. Sarah sitting stunned on the sofa. Mathew prowling around the room like an angry cat, his voice slightly raised and cold.

“What the hell do you want from me? I’ve no idea where all this has come from! You must be deluded or something! I’m not ready for commitment or anything remotely like it, and probably never will be, so don’t hold your breath!”

“But... I thought you loved me! I thought...”

“No, you didn’t bloody think, did you? That’s half the problem; you are too busy dreaming to ever really think.”

Sarah pulling the pieces of herself together, searching around for a little self-respect as Mathew fights to regain his control and get rid of her without too much of a scene.

“Just forget what I said, will you? I’ve had too much to drink and you know how emotional we women get with alcohol.” Her smile hollow.

Mathew looking relieved to pretend it was not serious, his interest now concentrating on smoothing things over while he had to. “Right! Happy to do so! Look... I’m sorry for going off on one, too. You know it was just a shock... I thought you understood it was a bit of fun?”

“Yes, of course, a bit of fun. As I said, too much to drink.”

“No problem. Look, it’s late. I have work in the morning.”

“I can’t drive home. I was supposed to be staying over; I’ve been drinking.”

“You can sleep in the spare room. I’ll be up and out early in the morning.”

The spare room.

Spare...

Spare.


Elizabeth looked across to Sarah. It was all clearly written on her face. How had she failed to see it before? “You took your own life?”

Sarah flinched. “They were going on at me -– the voices. I wanted to shut them up. I didn’t really want to die!” She began to cry again, this time silent tears.

Elizabeth heard the voices, a choir of gargoyles whispering dark words.


He would never love you
No one ever will


“I know, Sarah. It's OK. I understand." Elizabeth moved closer to Sarah and Tashriel, who was comforting her. "Did you see a light Sarah? Can you see the light?" she asked tenderly.

“I’m too scared to go into it.”

“Many are,” Elizabeth looked at Tashriel. “Others find their options are limited.”

Tashriel stood back a step and held Sarah tenderly by the shoulders,. “The light will be waiting for you whenever you feel ready to go into it.”

Elizabeth put a hand on Sarah’s arm . “You are ready to leave Mathew and this flat behind for good, though, aren't you? Isn't that why you came to us?"

Sarah acknowledged Elizabeth’s words with a slight incline of her head.

“Come on, then. Let’s leave,” Tashriel said, breaking away.

A concerned Sarah wandered over to Mathew, “How are we going to explain this to him?”

“No need to worry about him. He'll never know we've been here,” said Tashriel.

“But he’s already seen you!” she exclaimed.

“Ever had a moment where you forgot what you were doing? Searched around in your brain to remember and it never came back to you?”

Sarah smiled. “You’d be surprised. Happens quite a lot lately.”

Tashriel and Elizabeth laughed. “Well, it’s about to happen to Mathew,” Elizabeth said with a grin.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:
  • At 10 October 2009 at 18:36, Blogger Jannie Funster said…

    "a choir of gargoyles" is a stunning addition to this already well crafted segment.

    Always impressed at how you can weave so much into your writing and have it flow so well.

    And as to... "you know how emotional we women get with alcohol" you sure hit the nail on the head with that! Sometimes half a beer can make me weep or laugh hysterically.

     
  • At 10 October 2009 at 23:13, Blogger Baino said…

    LOve it and I thought it was Matthew who was the ghost. Excellent. Three times a week! I'll have to do a weekend catchup! So nice to have you back.

     
  • At 10 October 2009 at 23:23, Blogger Melissa said…

    I think this is one of my favorite scenes, too! (be prepared for me to say this with every post ... lol). Truly love it -- the hollow smile, the raw emotions very clear and the tremor beneath everything that is those gargoyle's in Sarah's head. I love the light being there when she's ready and her acknowledgment that she's finally ready to leave. Whew! Great scene and the laughter at the end is a super release for Sarah. I'd like to "help" Matthew forget .... heh heh. :)

     
  • At 11 October 2009 at 04:26, Blogger Charles Gramlich said…

    A very atomspheric scene. Nicely done.

     
  • At 11 October 2009 at 19:03, Blogger The Zombieslayer said…

    I'm liking the development of this. Poor Sarah.

     
  • At 11 October 2009 at 19:46, Blogger Miladysa said…

    Jannie - Your comment is much appreciated - especially when it's from a woman who weaves so much into her own song lyric :)


    Baino - That's wonderful news - just what I wanted you to think *wicked cackle*

    I started with twice per week to give new readers a chance & also readers who joined the story quite a way into it. A few long term readers asked me to increase it though and I was happy to oblige :)


    Melissa - I LOVE how you notice everything - absolutely every tiny detail and I am sure you know how great that feels! Thank you :)

    "I'd like to "help" Matthew forget .... heh heh." roflmao


    Charles - "very atomspheric" Thank you!

    Going through the editing process with Jessica has really helped me to notice and think more about what I am writing (and also what I was not writing) lol


    Zombie - Great to see you!

    "Poor Sarah." Ahh - I always knew you had a heart - and a big one at that :) Glad to see you are still outwitting those Zombies!

     
  • At 12 October 2009 at 01:41, Blogger Vesper said…

    A very strong scene - and it breaks my heart... the word "spare" is so full of meaning... :-(

    The choir of gargoyles is quite frightening...

    There's only one thing that puzzles me. How is it that Elizabeth and Tashriel didn't know from the beginning that Sarah was dead?

     
  • At 13 October 2009 at 17:34, Blogger Miladysa said…

    Ahhh... that would be telling Vesper... that would be telling ;)

     

Post a Comment

~Make your presence known~

<< Home
 

Paranormal Fiction
by Miladysa

♦ A Google
Blog of Note ♦

♦ Author Email:
miladysa@hotmail.com

Whituth's living can't see the dead but psychic Elizabeth Whyte can see everyone: living humans, delayed souls, fallen angels, vampires and fae. She helps maintain the fragile peace between light and darkness in her work with RoYds, an unworldly refuge. But that peace has suddenly become fragile. Whituth's carefully maintained balance is tipping toward darkness. Now Elizabeth and her angelic allies must discover who or what is threatening both town and refuge before balance is lost forever

♦ REVIEWS ♦

Brilliant and Spooky
Gothic Web Opera
Strangely Plausible

 
Subscribe in a reader


@Miladysa

♦ Interviews with Miladysa

♦ Review/Rate:
Muse's Success
Gothic.net
Web Fiction Guide

♦ MoreWeb Fiction


Elizabeth
Billy
Lady Mabel
Tashriel
The Stone Avenue
Fan Art ~ Arwydau

Template by LunaStone & Miladysa

© 2007-2014 Miladysa

No part of this site may be reproduced without the permission of the author. All rights reserved.